Posted by Chris Ellison - May 21, 2022 | Contact Author
Best 2 Ways to Convert ISO to MP4 With Good Quality-Size Balance
Learn how to make MP4 videos from ISO image files free Handbrake and DumboFab DVD Ripper. Also you will learn how to get the best balance between size and quality in ISO to MP4 conversion.
"I have a huge video in .iso format (50 GB) that I want to convert into a compressed .mp4 and I was hoping that Media Encoder could do this, but apparently it's more complicated than that. Does anyone know of a way to turn an DVD .iso video into a smaller .mp4?"
ISO image is an archive file with the extension of .iso composed of all the data contents of an optical disc. It will keep the original quality of a DVD. Since ISO is accepted by limited devices and programs, people often need to convert ISO to MP4 - the most widely used digital multimedia container format recognized by nearly all devices, players, and editors.
There are many ISO to MP4 converters in the market. Here we single out the top 2 software tools (Handbrake and DumboFab DVD Ripper) and illustrate how to transcode ISO image file to MP4 on Windows (10) and Mac within clicks.
Why Convert DVD ISO to MP4 Videos?
1. ISO is large in size and not widely supported: ISO is an image of a disc (Blu-ray, DVD or CD) which contains an identical copy of data found on the optical disc. The ISO images are often used for backing up source Blu-ray/DVD/CD discs, and contain all the written contents of discs including Chapters, subtitles, audio tracks, descriptions and menus. So, an ISO file usually owns a large file size – almost the same file size as the original DVD or Blu-ray disc. Besides, ISO is not a popular video format that a few players can play it.
2. MP4 well balances size and quality and it's widely supported: MP4 features a high compression rate and great output quality. Therefore, it delivers a smaller file size than other formats when setting as the same quality. Sometimes an MKV file at least doubles the size of an MP4. Moreover, MP4 is compatible with almost all devices, including computers and HD/4K TVs, phones, tablets, and game consoles from Apple, Samsung, Google, Microsoft, Sony, etc. It's accepted by media players, editors (e.g. iTunes, iDVD, iMovie) and web services (e.g. YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo). These are the main reaons why users want to convert ISO to MP4.
Way 1: Convert ISO to MP4 with DumboFab DVD Ripper
DumboFab DVD Ripper is the best ISO to MP4 converter for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, etc. And it has a Mac version compatible with macOS Catalina and lower. This program is available to convert ISO, as well as DVD disc and DVD VIDEO_TS folder, to MP4 with best balance in speed, quality & size. And its features include but are not limited to:
- ◉ Convert ISO to MP4 as well as other formats such as MKV, HEVC, AVI, WMV, MOV, M4V, MPG, FLV, etc.
- ◉ Transcode TS video to MP4 for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, and other devices with optimized presets.
- ◉ From 7GB ISO file to ~1.1GB MP4: Aadjust resolution, bit rate, codec, etc to produce optimal file size. Specifically, the ripped file is 1GB~1.6GB instead of GBs for a full movie, a 80% space saving.
- ◉ Finish conversion at fast speed, owing to the support for the advanced GPU Acceleration.
- ◉ Rip any DVD: homemade discs, burned DVDs, and bought DVDs with almost all DVD encryptions like Disney X-project DRM, CSS, region code, RCE, APS, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, etc., support navigation algorithms used in DVDs from paramount, Disney, Sony, etc.
★ For macOS 10.14 or lower, you're recommended to download 32-bit installer here ↓
3 Simple Steps convert ISO to MP4 With Good Quality-Size Tradeoff with DumboFab
Step 1: Install and launch DumboFab DVD Ripper, click "Load disc" button and then click "Load ISO/ISO" button to load ISO image files you want to convert to MP4.
Step 2: Click "Format" bar and then select an MP4 profile from "Common Video" category. In addition, there are 300+ video, audio formats and devices here. If you need to convert ISO image file for iPhone, Android device, YouTube, web services, you can also find a profile.
Optimal quality settings:
- ◉ To get the best possible output quality and smallest file size, choose H.265 Video(*.mp4). It has 50% smaller size at the same quality.
- ◉ In addition to selecting "H.265 MP4" as the output format, flexible options are offered to further reduce the size of the converted MP4 video. Click the Settings button beside the Profile bar and enter into the "Profile Settings" page. A slew of other variables such the video/audio codecs, pixel dimensions, frame rate, bit rate, audio sampel rate, etc. will help convert an ISO image file at 7GB to a smaller MP4 file.
Recommended video size settings:
- • You're not suggested to adjust the frame rate and aspect ratio, if not necessary.
- • Use the codec H.264 or H.265 and lower the bitrate to a lower level. For example, adjusting the original medium quality to bitrates of around 1500-2000 is acceptable without noticeable pixellation.
- • Lower the resolution. Typical DVD videos are 720×480 (NTSC) and 720×540 (PAL). Adjust the resolution to 640×480 won't make any quality difference.
Please note: Adjusting these variables have some effect on the re-encoded video quality. You can go smaller, only at the cost of quality loss. Generally, If you keep the original ISO image quality, the MP4 (codec: h.264+aac) profile generally range from 1.1Gb - 1.6Gb after rips. By converting ISO to H.265 MP4, the size can be reduced by 50% at the same quality.
Step 3: Click the "Browse" button to select a destination folder in the dialog box that opens, and click OK. Then click the big "Convert" button to start converting. The rip will go from about 150fps to 350fps based on the computer you have (higher configuration, faster speed).
Way 2: How to Convert ISO to MP4 Free with Handbrake
HandBrake is an open source video transcoder available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It allows you to change ISO image files and other formats to MP4 and MKV.
Steps to convert ISO to MP4 Handbrake:
Before starting HandBrake ISO to MP4, please make sure you have installed the latest version of HandBrake. If not, please download it here: https://HandBrake.fr/
Step 1. Run HandBrake and a Source Selection interface will pop up.
Step 2. Click "File" on the left and click Open a single video file to import your ISO image file or drag and drop the ISO file directly to the interface. HandBrake will scan the DVD ISO titles and load the contents.
However, one thing to note is that HandBrake CANNOT circumvent copy protection of any kind, it only works with DRM-free discs and ISO files. If you encounter the "No valid source or titles found." prompt when importing an ISO file, this means that the ISO file contains copy protection encryption.
Step 3. Then, select the title, preset format or devices as you wish. In the Summary tab below, select MP4 or MKV as the output format.
Step 4. Select the output directory at the bottom by click "Browse" button.
Step 5. Finally, click on the green "Start Encode" button to start the conversion of ISO to MP4 using Handbrake.
The limitation of Using Handbrake:
Handbrake works as a basic ISO to MP4 conversion tool with its share of limitations and drawbacks.
- - A lot of users get errors like No Valid Source found where there is a problem locating and scanning the ISO file.
- - No support for batch conversion of files.
- - The editing features are limited as compared to other professional tools.
- - The graphical interface of the program is not an easy one to use.
- - With a lot of settings and options, the program can become a challenging one for the beginners.
The advantage is Handbrake's availability for Windows, Mac as well as Linux platforms and also it being OK for general conversion tasks which include non-protected DVDs. Although, if you have an entire collection of your favorite movies and TV shows on ISO, DVD discs, or DVD folders and want to digitize them to MP4 with fast speed and zero quality loss, then DumboFab DVD Ripper would be your best option.